Saturday, June 22, 2024

Book 103: Vintage Contemporaries by Dan Kois

 I just finished Vintage Contemporaries and I give it ✩✩✩✩1/2 stars!

It's the story of two women named Emily who meet in NYC at the end of the 1990s. Emily (who is called Em when the two are friends) works in publishing, Emily is a sometimes-bartender, sometimes-bookseller, sometimes-addict who wants to produce theatre. The story takes place in two time periods: when Em and Emily are friends and Emily is living in a squat in NYC, and several years later, when Em (now known as Emily) is raising her daughter with her husband Alan. There are a few switches in time periods, not a lot so it doesn't get confusing, as we learn that the two women had a falling out but it is unclear why. Another storyline is how Em/Emily is building her literary career by editing a book by her mom's college friend who has a life-threatening disease. I really liked this book and really liked the characters, but I wasn't crazy about the ending (like, the very ending) and I'm really glad I read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment