Monday, January 1, 2024

First finish of 2024: "Wedding of the Season"

 And I give this novel by Lauren Edmondson ★★★ 1/2 stars.

One of the blurbs described the book as a cross between Elin Hilderbrand (love) and Edith Wharton (love) and I guess I see it---it takes place in Newport, RI (not Nantucket, but Elin-adjacent) and it involves descendants of a Gilded Age family who have lost all their money. The family's oldest daughter, Maggie, is getting married to the son of the woman who bought the family 'cottage' (ie huge estate), and the family is getting evicted from the carriage house on the estate where they were granted permission to live. The novel is told from the perspective of one of the family's three children, Cass. 

While I love novels of rich families having issues, this book didn't really suck me in. I think there were just too many characters. Cass as a character was very vivid, but we didn't learn a whole lot about the other characters who came off sort of stereotypically.  Newport as a 'character' wasn't nearly as vivid as it could have been. 


No comments:

Post a Comment