Monday, January 8, 2024

Book 5 of 2024: Erasure by Percival Everett

 I just finished Erasure and I give it ☆☆☆ 1/2 stars. 

This book has just been made into a movie called American Fiction and I wanted to read the book before reading the movie. I liked it, but it was a bit of a disturbing look at popular culture and the publishing industry. English Professor Thelonius "Monk" Ellison is not seeing the type of success he wishes to have with his novels, and becomes distraught when he learns a book called  "We's Lives in Da Ghetto" has become a critical and commercial success. So he writes a book that is similar, which he meant to be satirical. While all this is happening, he deals with upset in his family: violence, homophoia, and family secrets that upended his views of his history. It's well written and sad, and really skewers our culture. I'm not sure why some of the things that happened in the book needed to be there; some stuff seemed added to expand a novel that I don't think really needed expansion. All in all, a good and thought-provoking read.

No comments:

Post a Comment