Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Book 6 of 2024: Sugar, Baby

 I haven't thought very much about the Sugar Baby phenomenon recently. About ten years ago something was published saying that the U of O was a 'hot market' for Sugar Babies: young women who connect with older men and receive gifts for "companionship". At the time, my colleagues and I had discussed possibilities of who we knew who might be Sugar Babies, but then that all passed. 

Sugar, Baby, by Celine Saintclaire, examines the life of a Sugar Baby. Agnes is a housecleaner from a very religious family (she's the rebel), and the start of the novel alludes to something 'bad' that happened when Agnes was younger that had her dropping out of school (we do find out what the thing was, and it's bad but not that bad). At one of her jobs, Agnes meets Emily, who basically trains her to be a Sugar Baby. It's all fun and games until it isn't. 

I give this book ★★★★.  I thought it might even be a five star book for the first 75%, but the end of the book kind of devolved into too much too quickly. The ending is also wrapped up very sweetly. On the plus side, I really liked the character of Agnes and parts of the book have contemplated the natures of religion and beauty, which I liked a lot. 

This book won't be for everyone--there's a lot of profanity, and an awful lot of sex (more than I care to have a book, if I'm honest). I did get transported into Agnes' world and that counts for a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment