Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Book 39: Class by Stephanie Land

 I just finished Class by Stephanie Land and I give it 🧹🧹🧹.

Class is a sequel to her first book, Maid, and the subtitle is "A Memoir of Motherhood, Hunger, and Higher Education".  Class follows Land as she moves to Missoula to attend the University of Montana and, hopefully, gain admittance to their MFA in writing program. She continues her housecleaning work to try to make ends meet, all the while raising her daughter basically on her own. 

There's little new territory covered in this book. The challenges of being poor in America are devastating, and she continues to highlight this devastation, but doesn't really bring anything new to it. She continues to have horrible taste in men, and the book also highlights many of the (to me) bad decisions she makes. I thought I'd get some new insights into the challenges of being poor while going to college, but instead she shares how she really kind of blows off her classes (as well as her application to the MFA program). At the end, she is faced with a decision about an unplanned pregnancy  that had me very, very judgey (I'm kind of embarrased to write that) and that kind of ruined the whole book for me. Anyway, not a favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment