Monday, March 4, 2024

Book 29: Good Material by Dolly Alderton

 I just finished Good Material and I give it ☆☆☆☆1/2. This was a really good novel.

I guess it could be classified as a Rom-Com? But not really? Andy is a stand-up comic who, at the start of the novel, is broken up with by his girlfriend Jen. Most of the novel is the first six (maybe eight) months after the breakup as Andy tries to come to terms with the breakup. At the same time, he is struggling with his career and tries different things to try to move on and change his life (he lives on a houseboat, he starts working out). It's funny but it's sad (because Andy is sad) and it seems to be a very realistic view of what it is like to be single when you're at the age (mid-30s) when all your friends are settling down to a 'real' life. 

I took off a star because I am struggling with whether the book needed the last 10% or not--it certainly changes how I viewed the first 90% but not sure if I needed it or not. If you read this book I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment