Friday, September 6, 2024

Book 142: Colored Television by Danzy Senna

 I just finished Colored Television and I give it ★★★1/2.

I think I just don't have the brain for satire. This book is positioned as a satire of the television industry, and I guess it kind of is, but I thought satire was supposed to be funny? Maybe not. Anyway, it's the story of a mixed race woman named Jane who is trying to get tenure at her University where she's an instructor (yes, the lack of understanding how universities work was bothering to me). When her novel is rejected (a history of mixed raced people in America, only she uses the word mulattos which makes me uncomfortable to write), she tries to get a development job in television working on a show about mulattos. It's all kind of odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment