Sunday, February 18, 2024

Book 22: Get the Picture: A Mind-Bending Journey among the Inspired Artists and Obsessive Art Fiends Who Taught Me How to See

 I just finished Get The Picture by Bianca Bosker and I give it ★★★★★. Five stars! This is the best book I've read in a while.

This book is for anyone who has ever looked at a piece of contemporary artwork and has  1.  been confused or 2. been disgusted or 3. said outloud 'if that's art, I could have done it' or 4. said 'my 4 year old does better art than that.'  The book chronicle's Bosker's journal to develop an 'eye' (as they say in the art world) for contemporary art, and to do so she works (for free) in art galleries, assists an artist in her studio, and works as a guard for the Guggenheim museum in New York (known by guards as the 'Goog'). She talks to many people in the art world to learn what they do, how they view work, what makes art art, and how the art world works. It's fascinating, and it will change the way you look at and think about art. She focuses mainly on contemporary art (that is, art that is being made right now) although she does a ton of research into how the modern art world evolved. 

I hurried up and got her first book, "Cork Dork", about the wine industry because I think it will be great as well. 

Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment