Saturday, February 3, 2024

Book 17: The Mean$ by Amy Fusselman

 I just finished The Mean$ and I give this book--oh I have no idea. Let's say ⍟⍟⍟⍟.

I don't even know where to start with this book. The publishers describe it thusly: "The Means is a comedy about the suffering inherent in desire, capitalist delusion, and the value of unpaid labor." It's the story of the Means family, who want to have a beach house in the Hamptons, but all they can afford is a home made of old shipping containers. How Shelly Means negotiates the work in creating this house, all while her husband George is having a career setback and her new neighbors hate the home design, is the focus of the book. There's a cast of quirky secondary characters, which makes the book seem sort of 'otherwordly' feeling. Anyway, I liked it and zipped through it but it isn't for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment