Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Book 139: The Descendants by Kaui Hart Hemmings

 I just finished The Descendants and I give it 🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴.

This is a re-read--the book came out in 2007 and the George Clooney movie came out in 2007. I'm not sure when I first read it--maybe when we got back from Kauai?  Anyway--this is a great book even though it is very very sad. Matt's wife, Joanie, is in a horrific boating accident and is brain dead, and he has to lead his two daughters through the process of letting her go. At the same time, he has to decide who to sell a huge amount of property too--he is one of the original descendants of Hawaiian royalty and he and some family members own this hugely valuable land. Oh, and he finds out his wife was having an affair before she had the accident. It's about holding on and letting go and written with such beauty and humor. I love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment