Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Book 155: The Cautious Traveler's Guide to the Wastelands by Sarah Brooks

 I just finished The Cautious Traveler's Guide to the Wastelands and I give it 🚆🚆🚆 1/2.

This is kind of an odd book. I guess it would be characterized as historical fantasy maybe? The Trans-Siberian railroad is ferrying travelers from Beijing to Moscow and it must cross The Wastelands, a terrifying place that no one really understands and that can damage the train and the travelers if it can 'break in' to the train. There are numerous characters that we follow on the journey. I liked the first half or so, and the tension as the train travels through the Wastelands is well done. However, the book gets kind of convoluted and political and I didn't like it as well. I really had to push to finish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment